Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Tao of Pooh Book Review

Okay, I know you haven't seen it in the MyMediaList thingamaboby but I finished the book today and here is my review:

It seems a man deeply interested in philosophy came to see Winnie the Pooh Bear as the epitome of Taoism. (Pronounced Dao and Daoism. I learned this the hard way.) So, he set off to prove it. He wrote a book on the basic principals of Taoism and illustrated these principals with examples from the stories of Winnie the Pooh. He also contrasts the other characters like Rabbit with Pooh and highlights how Pooh benefits from unwittingly practicing the ancient Chinese philosophy.

My favorite part of the book is the chapter about being clever and having knowledge for the sake of knowledge. He skewers Rabbit for being a know it all and Owl for, well, I’ll let you read it to find out. Things start going downhill after that, and I kept reading mostly for the sake of reading the excerpts from Winnie the Pooh because I always thought I should have read at least two or three Winnie the Pooh stories in my life and this may be the closest I ever come.

Rating: 3/5



No comments: