Sunday, December 10, 2006

It's Science

There are hundreds of other science articles I've read since high school and they all used to amaze me. I would sit at my computer and think "wow, I didn't even see that comming." Well science, I've finally reached the point where I'm not surprised about much anymore. With talk about virtual immortality, traveling to mars, and playing god in the scientific community I'm not phased by much. Even if I woke up tommorow and heard we cured cancer I wouldn't be surprised. Here is a list of things that would surprise me:

I'll be surprised when they say we can...

send manned space craft to the nearest solar system and back within a typical human's lifespan.

Okay science, I keep hearing about going to the moon, mars, and checking out planets in our solar system. I'm not going to be surprised when we do it because I know we can. What I'm unsure of is our ability to travel outside of our Solar System. It seems as though we're stuck here in this dump with only ONE planet hospitable to human life. We don't even have a nice view! The ort cloud and Kuiper Belt? Pfff, please. Let me know when I can buy a ticket out of here.

mass produce light sabers with a cost just under $150.

Look guys, it's time we got light sabers. I really don't care how you do it. I don't care if they don't hum and only come in green. I need a light saber. I don't even care about the technology behind it, use plasma, high energy laser kept in place by powerful magnets, I don't care. They're just so darn cool!

Time Travel.

I don't really expect you to get this one down in my lifetime. I know we can theoretically move forward in time (E=MC2), but how do we move back? There's a lot of things I want to see and do, most of which involve changing the future. (I have no issues about changing the future.)

Teleport

I figure this one will come way after faster than light travel and after I'm long gone. Though it would be nice to instantly transport anywhere instantly.

I guess that's it. If something DOES surprise me, I'll let you all know.

No comments: